Golf Cart Rules
- Golf Cart - A gas or electric vehicle that is capable of traveling no more than 20 mph.
- Low-Speed Vehicle (LSV) - A gas or electric vehicle that is capable of traveling no more than 25 mph.
- Unauthorized Vehicle - All-Terrain Vehicles (ATVs) or Off-Road Vehicles (Mules, Gators, Rangers, etc.). Any Golf Cart that has been modified to exceed 20 mph.
Vehicle Categories & Requirements
Fripp Island limits certain vehicles operating on Fripp Island. These limitations apply to Fripp Island property owners, guests and renters who wish to transport Golf Carts, Golf Cart (LSVs) and All-Terrain Vehicles (ATVs) onto the island.All Unauthorized Vehicles (other than those subject to exceptions or which have been previously registered with Fripp Island Security) are not allowed on Fripp Island. Operation of an Unauthorized Vehicle or any vehicle of this kind on the island will result in a Fripp Island citation accompanied by a fine of $300. Existing registration requirements for Golf Cart Rules & Regulations for Golf Carts remain unchanged. All Golf Carts and LSVs must be registered and must display a current registration sticker that links the vehicle to the owner and the Fripp Island property if applicable. If you are in doubt about the validity of your registration sticker, please check with Fripp Island Security. All property owners are required to register their Golf Cart and LSVs at no charge. A Fripp Island citation accompanied by a fine of $300 will be levied for any Golf Cart or LSV found to be unregistered.All owners, guests, and renters who transport a Golf Cart or LSV onto the island MUST register their Golf Cart or LSV within 24 hours of arrival. Guests and Renters must pay a fee of $50 to obtain the registration. There will be a $300 fine if the registration is not obtained.
Golf Cart - The owner must bring the Golf Cart to the Fripp Island security office where they can complete a registration form and pay a $50 annual registration fee. The following equipment must be verified as operational:
- Golf Cart Insurance
- Head Lights
- Tail Lights
- Brake Lights
- Rearview Mirror
- Vehicle Insurance
- Head Lights
- Tail Lights
- Brake Lights
- Rearview Mirrior
- Turn Signals
- Parking Brake
- Seat Belts
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- Reflex Reflectors (A device on an LSV that gives an indication to an approaching driver by reflecting light from the lamps of the approaching vehicle).
Vehicle Usage Rules & Regulations
- All Golf Cart and LSV operators MUST have a valid driver's license and proof of insurance. THE FINE FOR DRIVING WITHOUT A VALID DRIVER'S LICENSE ON FRIPP ISLAND IS $200.00. A SECOND OFFENSE IS $400.00.
- Rental Golf Carts and LSVs are NOT ALLOWED on GOLF COURSES, BEACHES or BIKE PATHS.
- Use hand signals when turning or stopping.
- Rental Golf Carts cannot be parked in fire lanes.
- Electric Golf Carts require periodic charging. Be sure the Golf Cart has a good charge before leaving for an extended ride. When you sense that the cart is losing power (i.e. sluggish, slowing down), it needs charging. An overnight charge should last a couple of days of normal use.
- Electric Golf Carts MUST NEVER BE TOWED without first flipping the TOW switch to the TOW position. The TOW switch is located under the Golf Cart seat near the batteries. Failure to put the Golf Cart in TOW mode may permanently damage the controller unit. You may be liable and charged for a new controller unit if the Golf Cart is towed with the TOW switch in a non-tow mode.
- Be SURE to turn the headlight(s) OFF when not in use.
- Note that the Golf Cart has forward, reverse and neutral gears. When in reverse, you should hear a beeping sound.
- Please take the key out of the cart when not in use.
- Please contact the owner or agent with any questions about the operation of the Golf Cart.
- When in a parked position, please make sure the cart is in "Neutral" and that the brake pedal is pushed until it is in the "Locked" position (left-hand side of the brake pedal).
- Do not stand on the Golf Cart and/or hang off the roof braces.
- After heavy rainfalls, do not drive the Golf Cart through standing water since it will short out the power supply. If you must cross water, please go as slowly as possible so the undercarriage does not get wet. If you must cross a large/deeper pool of standing water, please let off the passengers and have them get back on on the other side of the pool of standing water.
- The Golf Cart is not designed to endure rough terrain. Go SLOWLY over potholes and ripples in the roads
- If the Golf Cart headlights become inoperative, please be sure to carry a flashlight with you at night, so as to be seen by pedestrians and other drivers.
- If the Golf Cart becomes inoperable, DO NOT try to make repairs yourself. Please contact the owner or agent immediately.